Monday, April 11, 2011

Orchids in Santa Barbara

 Santa Barbara has the perfect climate to grow orchids


I inherited this plant from my green thumbed Mom many years ago
This plant had over 20 flower spikes, started blooming in December and lasted through early March.
Another of my pinkish white cymbidiums currently also has over 20 spikes
My cymbidiums stay outside all year...I only bring in a couple of the big ones when they are in bloom.
Last Friday I was touring new property listings on the More Mesa Bluffs.
Two of our oldest Orchid Nurseries are located on More Mesa.
These Nurseries are open to the public and are internationally known for their amazing varieties
of orchids....including new hybrids cultered on site!

Come along with me for a visit...

Santa Barbara Orchid Estate

Amazing and Exotic

Ahhhh...rows 'n rows of my beloved Cymbidiums

This Laelia is named, "Santa Barbara Sunset Streaker"
  
Cal Orchid just down the way....

"Home of:  The Living Bouquet"
Proprietor and grower, Lauris Rose has been cultivating orchids for a long time

Lauris took me for a personal tour of her beautiful orchids and
gave me a mini-education along the way...

Another favorite of mine, "Epidendrums"...pictured are the new hybrids,
cultivated by Cal-Orchid, which make fewer keikis and have larger flower heads which look
 like they have mini butterflies dancing on them.
I went home with a new addition to my Epis...a coral colored one
and a gorgeous chocolate red Cymbidium...both from Cal-Orchid!

These wonderful nurseries are open to the public Monday through Saturday
both are located on Orchid Drive, Santa Barbara
Go for a tour...take photos... you will fall in love, and maybe even take home an orchid!

No comments: