Saturday, August 1, 2009

Vintage & Antique Shopping

My sister and I spent a day browsing through favorite Vintage and Antique Stores in our communities. What a fun day we had together!





We started out at the Santa Barbara Consignment Company, http://sbconsignment.com/ located at the corner of State and Guitierrez Streets. Excellent parking right in front of the store...in the event you have found some treasures you can't live without! I was on the hunt for vintage broaches, in particular good buys on Weiss Rhinestone broaches from the 40's and 50's, which I use as focal points for my custom necklaces. I did find a couple of nice ones. Both of us collect red transfer-ware. My sister found lots of treasures and made arrangements to have the store handle some items she wants to sell. There was a stunning old formal dining table and 8 chairs which I absolutely fell in love with. It had a true Spanish/Italian look to it..gorgeous hand carving, not too ornate and gothic. It was in beautiful shape and what a buy...$1,000 for the entire set! Another lady was looking at it quite seriously. I told her that I didn't need a dining set, but that if it was still there in a week I'd have to take it home and figure out what to do with my china hutch, etc.


Then off we went towards Summerland which has become a treasure trove of real Antique Stores and some great Vintage Stores as well.

Our first stop was The French Market, right at the first turn-off in Summerland. This has always been a favorite of mine. My sister found a little lamp that she loved. This store is staged beautifully and always has a terrific variety of lovely items.




Across the street is the Summerland Antique Collective. This large facility contains numerous dealers showcasing a variety of fabulous antiques and some great vintage and collectibles. Everything is pretty high quality and certainly not in my budget. However, we both enjoyed and coveted numerous gorgeous items.



Our next stop was Summerland Antiques located in the large Dutch Barn style building along the main street of Summerland. This two story building houses some stunning garden statues and urns along with marvellous antiques which were certainly not in our budget but lovely to behold. There were some pieces like the kind we've seen in European castles.


At this point we were pretty hungry. After all shopping is hard work! We went to one of our favorite places, The Garden Market on Santa Claus Lane. This wonderful cafe and market offers terrific home made breakfast and lunch, wines, pastries, lattes, and then some. Recently purchased by my friend Tammy DeMateo, who has done a terrific job expanding the cafe interior seating area to complement the outside patio area. The food is delicious, the ambiance is charming and Tammy has added some wonderful gift items to her Market. Look for Carla's Baubles!


We had a wonderful lunch, and I indulged in a refreshing glass of Pinot Gris. Tammy has an outstanding selection of wines (for purchase as well), and she was showcasing a prominent artist's work: Howard Lamar. Very large pieces of modern art with happy colors and lines.

We did go on shopping into Carpinteria. I will save the rest of the shops for my next post, as there are still several stops to go. Yes, Sis and I are troupers when it comes to a day of shopping!






1 comment:

violet324franklin said...

Whew, it made me tired just to read about your shop till you drop days. But I must say that I was not familiar with so many of the antique stores you pointed out. I will put this on my must do list and hopefully will not spend the next years budget. I also enjoyed your jewelry episode and was delighted to learn how you evolved in this enterprise. Your work is masterful and a piece I bought from you had raves from so many people that I thought it was a great compliment to you Carla the designer.
Irene Mastick